Located at 15 Ha Thi Than in Da Nang’s Son Tra District, a temple to worship the founders of the An Hai Village, and the late Vietnamese General Nguyen Van Thoai, also known as Thoai Ngoc Hau, is one of the city’s most popular historical and cultural sites.
Thoai Ngoc Hau was born on 26 November 1761 in An Hai Village, Dien Ban District, Quang Nam Province (now called An Hai Tay Ward, Son Tra District, Da Nang). He was one of the meritorious officials during the reign of Emperor Gia Long of the Nguyen Dynasty. The General became actively involved in founding new villages and building canals and embankments in the southern region. He himself founded An Giang Province’s Thoai Son Village (now called Thoai Son District), and directed the digging of the over 100km of Thoai Ha and Vinh Te canals in the province, which assisted the trading activities of the residents.
Good mandarin Thoai Ngoc Hau visited his hometown in An Hai Village in 1827, 2 years before his death. During his stay in the village, he directed the construction of the Ha Than market, and appealed for donations from the general public to restore places for ancestor worship.
The late General has always been highly praised and respected for his creativeness in reclaiming land, founding villages, and promoting economic development and border protection.
As a great example of the traditional Vietnamese architectural style, the 4,250m2 temple aims to further educate the younger generations about the spirit of patriotism. In addition, this site is very actractive to both locals and visitors, especially those who show keen interest in conducting their historical and cultural research activities.